Ortovox Cougar snow shovel is essentially a lighter version of Ortovox Pro Alu II shovel. The Cougar is a stiff shovel overall even with the polycarbonate blade, however, it might get tricky cutting through hard crusts.
Ortovox Cougar shovel is great overall snow shovel if you don’t have plans to use it every day for snow pits, building jumps or carving snow caves. Have it for your normal days and pick something sturdier for traverses or multi day trips.
Ortovox Cougar is great overall snow shovel but not intended for heavy use on daily basis.
Its oval shaft makes for better handling and sanded grip coating provides slip-free grip.
Shovel blade has sharp edges but is made out of very stiff plastic called polycarbonate. It will do 99% of the jobs but you will have hard time cutting through thick crusts like with any other shovel that uses plastic blade.
Shovel handle (the same as the Pro Alu II uses) is a T-grip style and allows to hook up the blade to one of its ends thus creating a hoe-like tool. This is very convenient for pulling large amounts of snow.
If you want a shovel that lasts and can cut through any snow or crusts then check out the Ortovox Professional Alu. Otherwise Cougar is the perfect tool for occasional jobs.
- Intended for: all purpose shovel but the blade won’t stand heavy abuse on daily bases
- Shovel blade: polycarbonate
- Shovel shaft (material, shape): aluminum, oval
- Handle grip style: T-grip
- Length (overall, shaft folded): 86cm, 46cm
- Additional features: 90 degree chopping action (blade attached to handle makes a hoe)
- Blade (scoop) dimensions: 29 x 21 x 5 cm
- Weight: 630g