Ortovox S1 is currently the most advanced avalanche beacon in the world. It is fast and precise but its main benefit is that it displays up to 4 victims simultaneously on its big LCD screen, thus making multiple burial scenarios much easier to solve. Plus the S1′s software is updatable as new releases come available – this improves the beacon without having to buy a new one.
Ortovox S1 is suitable for almost any user but novice or less experienced users might not be able to take full advantage of all its features, thus somewhat overpaying what they really need.
Quick video overview
Ortovox S1, as a first avalanche beacon in the world, provides you with the relative location of all buried victims on its big LCD display. It gives you a clear overview of the burial situation.
Ortovox S1 maximum range and search lane width are up to 70m and 50m respectively which is among the biggest compared to other avalanche beacons.
The pinpoint location function (when you are closer than 3m) is very intuitive and precise. Burial depth is provided as well. Once you find the victim you can mark it as “found” it by using the flagging functionality. The “found” signal is then filtered out, so you can move on to searching other victims without distraction.
The S1 has a fully automatic switch for its scan (search) functionality. Just open the beacon like a flip cell phone and it starts searching. Close it back and it continues to transmit.
Also, Ortovox S1 has automatic switch to transmit mode in a case of a second avalanche. Simply, if no buttons are touched for a set time interval (you can set this up) the beacon switches to transmit mode whether closed or open.
- Avalanche beacon type: digital (updatable software)
- Search user feedback: distance indicator, bearing line, directional arrow, pinpoint function, beeps
- Multiple burials: shows up to 4 of buried victims on its display
- Marking (flagging) function: yes
- No. of antennas: 3
- Maximum range: up to 70m
- Search lane width: 50m
- Additional features: compass, inclinometer, thermometer
- Carrying system: chest neopren bag attached with a body strap, all included with the beacon
- Battery life: around 250h in transmit mode
- Battery type: 3 x alkaline AAA
- Dimensions: 120 x 80 x 30 mm
- Weight: 260g including batteries and bag
- Warranty: 5 years