The Pieps DSP avalanche beacon is one of the best beacons on the market today. The Pieps DSP is more affordable than the Ortovox S1+ while still delivering a constant 50m search-strip width in all directions, and multiple burial search functionality with marking. If you care about fancy features then check out its more expensive version, the Pieps DSP Advanced which is $100 more expensive .
Pieps DSP is easy enough to operate right out of the box. This makes it suitable for all user groups. However, the more experienced users and professionals will be able to use this beacon to its full potential. For novice or not regular backcountry travelers there might be better options in less expensive beacons such as Ortovox 3+ or BCA Tracker 2.
Quick video overview
Pieps DSP avalanche transceiver is very popular with professionals because of its reliability and constant search performance in all directions. The DSP is also very good in signal separation in multiple burial situations.
As a triple antenna digital avalanche beacon the Pieps DSP is one of the most precise avalanche beacons on the market. It provides directional and distance indications on its LCD screen to help locate a victim quickly.
In a multiple burial scenario the Pieps DSP has a marking (flagging) feature that can be utilized. Once a victim is found you can press the “flag” button to eliminate the signal of the found avalanche beacon and move on to search for the next victim, without being disturbed by a signal of the already found beacon.
A unique search and rescue gear combo combines the Pieps DSP beacon complemented with Pieps iProbe. The Pieps avalanche probe communicates with the beacon and can be deactivated temporarily the found beacon with a touch of a button. This especially useful in the case of multiple avalanche burials.
- Avalanche beacon type: digital (updatable software)
- Search user feedback: distance value, directional arrow, beeps
- Multiple burials: indication on its LCD display
- Marking (flagging) function: yes
- No. of antennas: 3
- Maximum range: up to 60m
- Search lane width: up to 50m in all directions
- Additional features: none (the Advanced version has compass, altimeter, thermometer)
- Carrying system: strap system with a bag, all included with the beacon
- Battery life: minimum of 200h in transmit mode
- Battery type: 3 x alkaline AAA
- Dimensions: 116 x 75 x 27 mm
- Weight: 198g including batteries
- Warranty: 1 year