Pieps Freeride is a perfect avalanche beacon for slack country access (just off the lifts). It usually sells for around $200 which makes it the most affordable transceiver on the market. This is also reflected in its functionality – a digital single antenna beacon with a fairly small range and not the fastest processor. In short, one wants to wear this beacon to be found and not necessarily solve a complex rescue situation.
Pieps Freeride avalanche beacon is perfectly suitable for those seeking a small, sleek and light beacon that prefer to access the backcountry from a lift for individual runs. It is easy to use, however, you need to be patient with it. Due to its size and weight the Freeride is perfectly suitable for ski mountaineering racing.
Quick video overview
Pieps Freeride is a one antenna digital beacon with a constant search strip width of 30m. Its maximum range is 40m. It also has a multiple burial light indicator.
The design and the interface are quite intuitive but there is a little bit of a learning curve unless you are already experienced with different avalanche beacon models – then you will know you have to be a little patient.
The Free ride also has a fall-back function in case of a second avalanche. And the beacon is compatible with the Pieps iProbe which will significantly enhance this beacons search abilities.
Pieps Freeride delivers exactly what you pay for and is worth every buck. If you expect more from an avalanche beacon but don’t want to spend a fortune check out Backcountry Access Tracker 2 or Ortovox 3+.
For accessing just the immediate backcountry of the lift and having avalanche gear just in case then this beacon will do.
- Avalanche beacon type: digital
- Search user feedback: distance value, direction arrow, beeps
- Multiple burials: indication on its LCD display
- Marking (flagging) function: no
- No. of antennas: 1
- Maximum range: up to 40m
- Search lane width: up to 30m
- Additional features: none
- Carrying system: strap system with a bag, all included with the beacon
- Battery life: minimum of 200h in transmit mode
- Battery type: 1 x alkaline AA
- Dimensions: 110 x 58 x 24 mm
- Weight: 110g including battery
- Warranty: 1 year